Pages

Saturday 24 January 2015

Snowy Crafts


I've been having a craft Saturday! Yesterday when I finished work, I went straight to shop for some lace and decorations for the Snow Queen outfit. I had a white overbust corset, but wanted to decorate it and make a skirt to go with it.

So this is what I started with:

A plain white ready-made overbust corset that's a little bit too small for me.

I bought two lace appliques with sequins and pearls on them, two meters of elaborate lace trimming and a meter and a half of trim with sequins and pearls on. For the skirt I got some white elastic and white satin ribbon.

Trying on the lace and appliques. I got two large mirrored appliques so I could fill a large area
in the front of the corset easily.
Sewing on the lace and appliques was much more time consuming than I thought. I spent around two and a half hours on it and then decided to glue the rest of the decorations on ;P I think sewing the large appliques was a good choice, they now conform easily to the corset's shape and are very secure. The glued-on pieces are much smaller so they don't get pulled around that much.

After sewing I cut pieces of the sequined trim and glued them to the front and sides of the corset. I wanted the decorations to be in a hourglass like formation to emphasize the corset's form. I then took some rhinestones I had in my stash and glued some on the corset for added bling.

Bling bling!

Today I've been sewing little sleeves (are they even sleeves? A bunch of fabric on an elastic that goes on your arm) decorated with the sequined trim, a long tulle skirt and a bustle made of tulle. I still need a headpiece, shoes and underwear, but I'm very happy with the progress. I've never decorated a corset before but I think I'll make a black one too when there's time. While decorating takes a lot of time, I think I can get great results with a reasonable amount of materials (=money). This corset has something around 30 euros of decorations on it, and there's still a lot of trim left over.

I'm still pondering on how to attach the bustle, I think the ribbon takes away from the
corset too much. I might just sew it on the corset in the end. But this is generally
how the corset looks now!








 It looks like I'm preparing for a wedding with the piles of white tulle laying around the study ;D White is a great colour to work with because the selection of trims is very good. The downside is that when you stick yourself with a needle, the bloodstains will show on the fabric! I just elegantly glued the rhinestones on top of little bloodstains, no one will notice ;P

13 comments:

  1. So crafty! It looks amazing, it was worth the work! <3 Maybe you can try wearing the skirt under the corset, that way none of that beauty you worked so hard for will be covered up.

    unknownprettylies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tried the skirt under the corset, but the silhouette just doesn't work. The ruffles should start at the waistline to elongate my legs, if I put the skirt under the corset, they start at hip level. Which then again works for many looks so not bad advice at all! I ended up sewing the bustle to the corset in the end :)

      Delete
  2. You're like a crafting goth queen! I absolutely love what you did here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG It looks totally amazing! No words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm itching to make a black one that will be more wearable, white is not really my colour but a must for a snow queen!

      Delete
  4. Geezus this is gorgeous. You had me laughing about the little bloodstains

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was pretty upset when I noticed the blood stains, but then I thought of the rhinestones and was happy to also find out the it's much easier to work with the needle with band-aids on your fingers, they give a great grip ;D

      Delete
  5. Upea! On kyllä nyt paljon näyttävämpi koristeiden kanssa! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiitos! Kaikki on parempaa paljettien ja strassikivien kanssa, kuorrutettuna pitsillä ;P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...