I already had a little teacup hat I made a few years ago for another party with the same theme, and I wanted to try if I could alter the robe d'anglaise pattern I got for hybrid between it and a robe a la francaise. The francaise has a stomacher instead of the hooks and eyes front closure of the anglaise, and francaise usually has large back pleats and a hidden lacing in the back. All of those pleats and lacing sounded like too much work, so I just sliced the anglaise pattern to have the same back and a stomacher in the front. To save even more time (and nerves) the stomacher attaches to the dress with snap tape. I'm thinking that this way I could make interchangeable stomachers for different looks, and even alter the waist circumference a bit to suit different corsets underneath.
There were some tricky parts, like running out of matching thread even though I bough a hundred meter spool, and pleating all that hem to fit the bodice, and then the blasted ruffles! All the ruffles had to be sewn by hand and I absolutely hate that. At least this time I didn't poke myself with the need and leave bloody finger prints all over the dress, but I still hated it. I think I cut the ruffles too narrow, which made them bunch up impossibly so that attaching them to the bodice was slow. The ruffles wanted to twist and I had to be extra careful to make sure everything was the right way around. Then again I doubt it would have been obvious even if the ruffle had so twists here and there.
|The dress with pannier hoops. Sorry about the too long petticoat hanging out!|
This was the first time I got to wear the ensemble and see how it came together.
|Here the dress is worn with a white undershirt (for modesty ;D) on top of a correct corset, and a tulle petticoat, |
no pannier hoops.
|The cute little muffin earrings are made by a friend. Thanks Anniina!|
|The "polonaise" top skirt is actually floor length, I just gathered it up with ties and two|
safety pins to go with a short skirt instead. I don't have enough fabric to do a long skirt with
the same pink, but maybe I could find some more of the fabric.
|I got extra ribbon to use as a bracelet, necklace and to tie some in my hair and on the sleeves.|
There no olive ribbon actually sewn to rest of the gown, so I can change the colour scheme
if I feel like it.
|All. Those. Pleats! I was losing my mind with pleating the skirt, and it's not perfect, but close enough!|
|The teacup got some olive ribbon and a few slices of the pink fabric, finished with pinking|
|The teacup hat is a actual teacup glued to a hairband with epoxy. I had glued some rhinestones|
on the last time I used it, but those came off easily, so I just used ribbons for decoration.